Job Vacancies Department of Public Information
Position Website Officer – Spanish, P3
Department/ Office Department of Public Information
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Sunday, 25 March 2012
Job Opening number 12-PUB-DPI-21298-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in the Web Services Section, News and Content Branch in the News and Media Division of the Department of Public Information. The Website Officer reports to the Chief of the Website Spanish Unit of the Web Services Section,
The Department of Public Information is dedicated to communicating the ideals and work of the United Nations to the world; to interacting and partnering with diverse audiences; and to building support for peace, development and human rights for all. Inform. Engage. Act.
Under the supervision of the Chief of the Website Spanish Unit and the guidance of the Chief of Section, the incumbent:
1. Develops and maintains the United Nations website in Spanish by:
a) working with the other language Units, Web Development Unit to plan and develop within the context of the Content Management System, dynamic, interactive web pages, site navigation strategies, incorporation of new UN sites, and upgrades for the overall UN website;
b) participating in the design and development of the “look and feel” of the site, making use of input from other departments/offices at Headquarters and in the field;
c) assisting in developing strategic partnerships and negotiating agreements with academic institutions for high-quality translations of materials for the website;
d) consolidting externally contributed and/or translated material, as necessary, and in consultation with content providers, developing a standard format and layout for all language versions, ensuring the end-result is fully accessibile by disabled persons in accordance with the relevant Guidelines;
e) coordinating content creation, updates, integration of contributed content, and organization of material, in text and multimedia formats, available on the Spanish website;
f) adapting web pages by writing content and providing translation when needed;
g) conducting preliminary review of contributed content with content provider to discuss location within the website, – presentation, maintenance and updating of the content, contact person and posting rights for the contributing office, depending on the amount of contributed material and the frequency of updating;
h) monitoring procedures for checking websites for link integrity, updated information, accessibility and technical problems;
2. Assists in the work of the Website Spanish Unit by:
a) Providing direction and guidance to the Website Language Assistants;
b) participating in regular meetings to discuss: work in progress and plan for upcoming conferences, meetings and events; any difficulties encountered in presenting content on the site, and proposed solutions; needed resources: software, hardware, staff, training needs;
c) recommending updates and expansion of published guidelines to reflect language needs;
3. Updates and maintains social media accounts in Spanish undertaking activities to promote media coverage of priority issues and/or major events, participates in the development of a social media strategy and action plan; responds to user’s feedback providing information or routing queries to the appropriate offices;
4. Works on the UN Centre, in consultation with the Chief of the News Services Section, by :
a) editing and posting, as necessary, news Stories for the UN News Centre in Spanish;
b) advising on language-specific changes an/or requirements.;
c) recommending and overseeing technical enhancements in the programming of the News Centre.
5. Analyzes website usage logs and prepares statistical reports; responds to user comments and/or reports of errors and problem areas.
6. Prepares substantive papers, reports, articles, and online surveys; Makes presentations regarding the website to various audiences. Fills in for the Chief of Unit as needed.
7. Performs other related duties as required.
- Advanced knowledge in the field of user-centric web design methodologies and information architecture, content organization and taxonomy concepts including information management archival/hierarchy, especially in the Spanish language. Knowledge of design and implementation of websites, based on CMS software. Ability to assess/survey client groups’ needs. Knowledge of web content management systems, and the use of relevant information databases, Internet services, as appropriate. Ability to prepare reports conveying maximum necessary information. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
– Speaks and writes clearly and effectively in Spanish; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Ability to maintain effective working relations.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in International Affairs, journalism, communication, computer Science or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
English and French are the working languages of the Secretariat. For this post fluency in English and Spanish (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
As part of the evaluation of your application for this position, you will be requested to undergo written knowledge-based assessment exercises, which may be followed by a competency-based interview depending on the result of the test.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Etiojobs com
- www etiojobs com
- Www etiojob com
- etiojob com
- Powered by Article Dashboard online degrees in psychology social work
- Powered by Article Dashboard online online psychology degree
- Powered by Article Dashboard computer science degree online
- Powered by Article Dashboard psychology degree online psychology