Job Vacancies Department of Public Information (DPI)
Job Title Public Information Assistant, G5
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC INFORMATION
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Wednesday, 22 December 2010
Job Opening number 10-PUB-DEPT OF PUBLIC INFORMATION-16905-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Department of Public Information (DPI). The incumbent reports to the Chief of Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Public Information Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
- Provides general office support; responds to complex information requests and inquiries from the media; sets up and maintain up-to-date collection of United Nations documentation for office reference as well as for dissemination to the press.
- Researches, compiles and presents basic information for use by the international press corps.
- Ensures availability and appropriate packaging of products for distribution
- Identifies and prepares lists of relevant material that are included on Twitter and emailed to the international press.
- Provides guidance/training to temporary staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures related to dissemination of public information.
- Ability to research information from a variety of sources.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
-Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
-Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
-Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
-Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
-Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
-Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity
High school diploma or equivalent.
At least 5 year of experience in in public information activities or related area. Experience in documents-related service is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations is committed to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. The United Nations Secretariat is a nonsmoking environment
A competency-based interview will be conducted.
This position is for local recruitment. External applicants will be considered only if no suitable internal candidates are found. Passing the New York Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Headquarters at New York. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon. Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Dept of public work vacancies
- UN DPI career
- un dpi media accredation and liaison
- UN DPI Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit public information assistant requirements jobs competencies
- un dpi vacancies
- un jobs dept of public information
- un media accreditation and liaison unit jobs
- un vacancies jobs dpi
- united nations Public Information Assistant recruitment
- vacancies in dpi office