Job Vacancies Department of Political Affairs
Position Political Affairs Officer
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL AFFAIRS
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Sunday, 18 December 2011
Job Opening number 11-POL-DEPT OF POLITICAL AFFAIRS-21333-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Job Vacancies Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Special Adviser to the Secretary-General (OSASG) on Myanmar, administered by the Department of Political Affiars (DPA). The incumbent reports to the Special Adviser, working closely with the Asia and the Pacific Division of DPA.
Job Vacancies Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Review and monitor developments in Myanmar with particular emphasis on socio-economic and governance matters as well as the overall political context; assesses trends which might affect the political situation and the political impact of intra-regional issues such as refugees, illegal drugs and natural resources ; assist in formulating options for effective engagement by United Nations with all stakeholders.
- Analyse political and related events within assigned area with a view to providing early warning to senior UN officials.
- Prepare analytical reports and papers on sensitive and high profile matters of concern to UN intergovernmental bodies ; draft notes, background papers, talking points, speeches and other correspondence for senior UN officials.
- Act as focal point for the collection and analysis of information on political issues of assignment.
- Arrange and participate in negotiations and missions.
- Liaise regularly with the Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team in Yangon as well as other relevant UN bodies to ensure a coherent and coordinated UN approach to Myanmar.
- Work closely with the Asia and the Pacific and the Electoral Assistance Divisions of the Department of Political Affairs on aspects related to the implementation of the good offices mandate.
- Provide up-to-date information to senior officials regarding substantive political matters and country or regional issues and make recommendations on actions to take.
- Maintain contacts with all relevant UN entities, including UNDP, ESCAP, the World Bank and others, on all aspects of UN efforts to promote socio-economic reform and to support democratic transition and national reconciliation; liaise with other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters; briefs representatives and provide, as appropriate, suggestions and recommendations.
- Organise the Myanmar Working Group, and chair it at the working level.
- Participate in conferences, seminars and academic fora related to his/her assigned area of expertise.
- Provide input for assessment of staff to be deployed to important posts in the field.
- As required, carry out administrative functions relating to the staff planning and budget.
- Draft plans for start-up of operations and participates in the activities of implementation.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Job Vacancies Competencies
Job Vacancies Professionalism:
– Shows ability to conduct in-depth research and analysis on socio-political issues, reach conclusions and provide recommendations.
- Shows sound political judgment and ability to relate to various issues and perspectives of a political, social, economic and humanitarian nature.
- Familiarity with the working relations between national entities/governmental bodies and international development cooperation agencies.
- Shows ability to write reports for multilateral entities.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Job Vacancies Communication:
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Shows ability to listen carefully to others, correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Job Vacancies Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
Job Vacancies Education
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science , international relations , international economics, law, public administration, or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job Vacancies Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, international relations , development and humanitarian work, conflict resolution or crisis management at the international/national level. Knowledge and work experience in the Asian region, in socio-economic issues or in good offices, mediation and facilitation highly desirable.
Job Vacancies Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage. Knowledge of Burmese is desirable.
Job Vacancies Assessment Method
A competency based interview and/or another form of assessment may be administered.
Job Vacancies Special Notice
Extension of the appointment is subject to continuation of the mandate and/or the availability of funds. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context,all staff are subject periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
Job Vacancies United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard the radio dept
- pligg content management system political talk radio
- pligg content management system progressive talk radio
- powered by phpBB career information
- pligg content management system branches of natural science
- pligg content management system rules of engagement
- Powered by Article Dashboard meeting facilitation training
- pligg content management system national conference
- office of the special adviser to the secretary-general (osasg) on myanmar
- Powered by Article Dashboard political talk radio