Job Vacancies Department of Political Affairs
Position Meetings Services Assistant
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL AFFAIRS
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Thursday, 14 July 2011
Job Opening number 11-CON-DEPT OF POLITICAL AFFAIRS-19804-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in located in the Security Council Secretariat Branch of the Security Council Affairs Division in the Department of Political Affairs. The incumbent reports to Chief of the Security Council Secretariat Branch.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Security Council Secretariat Branch, Security Council Affairs Division/DPA and within delegated authority, the Meetings Services Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Participate in the preparation of the documentation of the Security Council and serve on a rotational basis as the evening documentation focal point for the Branch.
2. Ensure the timely provision of information and documentation regarding the Council’s activities to Council members and the appropriate Secretariat officials; liaise with the Coordinator of the Security Council Presidency in order to respond to the needs of the President in organizing the work of the Council.
3. Liaise with Documents Control author departments and other offices within the Secretariat to ensure the timely publication of Security Council documents, the availability of translated texts and that the correct documents are provided for meetings and consultations of the Council; utilize E-Docs and ODS to track the status of documents.
4. Prepare a variety of draft transmittal notes and other circulation notes to the attention of Council members.
5. Post documents of the Security Council on the UN Home Page and updates the Division’s database.
6. Carry out research assignments in regard to the work of the Security Council.
7. Perform other duties as required. Depending on the needs of the service, the incumbent may be required to work long hours and weekends.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter including knowledge of meeting service responsibilities, general office and administrative support, basic work flow processes and procedures, and exposure to the political work of the Organization; Ability to perform well under pressure and to muti-taks; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
Planning & Organizing:
-Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
-Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
-Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
-Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
-Uses time efficiently
-Keeps abreast of available technology
-Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office
-Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks
-Shows willingness to learn new technology
High school diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of five years of experience within the UN system, preferably including direct involvement in the provision of substantive services to the Security Council. Experience in the field of meeting servicing and UN documentation or related area is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this post fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is highly desirable.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
A written and/or substantive assessment and/or competency-based interview may be administered.
This position is for local recruitment.
Must have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon.
Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- security council secretariat branch
- Powered by Article Dashboard vietnam visa application
- UN SECURITY COUNCIL SECRETARIAT BRANCH
- UN DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL AFFAIRS JOB VACANCIES
- security council secretariat branch department od political affairs
- pligg content management system high school track field
- secretariat security council affairs division
- Powered by Article Dashboard visa application for vietnam
- pligg content management system medicare part d
- vacancies department of political affairs