Job Vacancies Department of Management (DOM)
Position Budget Assistant
Department/ Office Department of Management
Location: United States of America ( The )
Closing Date: Thursday, 19 April 2012
Job Opening number 12-FIN-DM-22813-R-NEW YORK (R)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Policy Coordination Unit, Programme Planning and Budget Division of the Office of Programme Planning, Budget and Accounts, Department of Management . The Budget Assistant reports to the Chief of the Unit.
The incumbent provides central control functions relating to post management by ensuring consistency between staffing tables authorized by the General Assembly, the Controller or the Director of the Programme Planning and Budget Division and the IMIS database, monitoring execution of the authority delegated to Executive Offices in connection with post management and participating in reviewing and updating procedures and technical enhancements in post management.
ACCURACY AND TIMELY AVAILABILITY OF POST RESOURCES
- Verifies and reconciles authorized number of posts in IMIS database against staffing table authorization based on General Assembly resolution on the regular budget and the authority delegated to the Division. At the beginning of the biennium/year, updates funding line of all established and extrabudgetary posts at Headquarters to reflect the appropriate budget account classification (BAC) in accordance with allotment advices with a view to ensuring that valid posts are properly funded for payroll purposes. Based on staffing table authorizations, undertakes necessary post actions in IMIS which include creating, extending, freezing/unfreezing, redeploying, transferring and loan of posts in accordance with established procedures.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL
- Monitors, through query and research of post incumbency data, execution of the authority delegated to Executive Offices relating to post management and brings to the attention of the Chief of Unit any violations of such authority. Works closely with the HR/IMIS Help Desk and IMIS to rectify these violations and to prevent further recurrences.
IMPROVEMENT IN PROCEDURES
- Based on experience and in consultation with Executive Offices and the IMIS Help Desk, reviews administrative procedures in post management and proposes revisions of these procedures to improve efficiency and strengthening monitoring and control. Serves as focal point for post management issues in liaising with the HR/IMIS Help Desk, IMIS and UMOJA in review technical procedures in post management, and participates in design and testing of system enhancements.
- Provides expert advice and clarifications to colleagues in the Division and in Executive Offices on administrative and technical aspects relating to post management.
- Assists in verifying accuracy of post and resource data in proposed programme budget fascicles and other complex budgetary documents before release of documents for processing. Assists in substantive servicing of the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly through research and data gathering. Serves as back up for monthly vacancy statistics reporting, which monitors vacancies of regular budget established and temporary posts of all offices, according to budgetary criteria, for use in preparation of standard salary costs of posts and for budgetary analysis. Performs other related duties, as assigned. The incumbent will be required to provide stand-by services during the weekend, holidays and outside normal working hours, as necessary.
– Knowledge and sound judgement in the interpretation of the following documents, and how they relate to the performance of the functions of the post: (i) Financial Regulations and Rules, and Staff Rules and Regulations; (ii) staffing table authorizations and allotment advices; (iii) IMIS Desk Procedures, Desk Procedures of the Unit and Instructions/Guidelines issued by the Chief/Director and the Controller; and (iv) allotment account codes manual. Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Strong analytical skills; conversance with the overall requirements of the Division and the functions of the Unit regarding financial/budgetary control and monitoring. Strong grasp of the political sensitivity of issues within the Unit and Executive Office and insight to ensure that matters are escalated to the attention of senior official as necessary. Ability to set work priorities and work with minimal supervision. Ability to produce high quality work under pressure and cope with deadlines, demonstrated attention to detail, good drafting ability, and flexibility to work long hours during servicing of the legislative bodies are required.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
– Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
– Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment (ASAT) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away from Headquarters.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of budget, finance and administration is required. Practical work experience in IMIS is required. Experience with post management and allotments is desirable. Extensive experience in word processing, spreadsheet and database software is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable
Kindly note that you may, as part of the evaluation of your application for this position, be requested to undergo a technical assessment exercise, which may be followed by a competency-based interview depending on the result of the test.
This position is for local recruitment.
Passing the New York Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Headquarters at New York. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon.
Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard exercise
- Powered by Article Dashboard employee performance management system
- Powered by Article Dashboard performance based verification
- Powered by Article Dashboard back support
- Powered by Article Dashboard financial management
- pligg content management system trade show stand production
- Powered by Article Dashboard budgets and budgeting
- pligg content management system back support
- Powered by Article Dashboard help desk software
- Powered by Article Dashboard trade show software developer