Job Vacancies Department of Field Support
Position: Movement Control Officer
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Saturday, 29 October 2011
Job Vacancies Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the Department of Field Support (DFS), Logistics Support Division, Transportation and Movements Service/Movement Control Section (LSD/TMS/MCS). The incumbent reports to the Chief, Movement Control Section.
Job Vacancies Responsibilities
The Movement Control Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Job Vacancies General
- Monitor and administer transportation contracts and Letters of Assist;
- Prepare requisitions for strategic movement operations, ensuring that requirements and specifications are accurate and complete, and ensure funds availability;
- Review bid responses and conduct operational and technical evaluation and analysis of the bids to ensure that offers meet technical requirements and operational needs;
- Prepare presentations to the Headquarters Committee on Contracts (HCC) and Letters of Assist (LOA) for movements arranged by United Nations (UN) Troop Contributing Countries (TCC);
- Prepare cost estimates for budget and planning purposes; Coordinate requisition process with purchasing authorities to ensure that bidding and approval processes meet required timetable;
- Participate in technical field missions as required;
- Participate in Technical Assistance Visits to UN Troop Contributing Countries as and when required;
- Advise on all matters pertaining to the planning, budgeting and monitoring (including safety) of the provision of transportation resources to field missions;
- Perform other transport related duties as assigned.
Job Vacancies Movements
- Develop, implement and manage the sea, air and surface transportation plans for military and civilian police personnel, including formed military units, government owned equipment and United Nations owned equipment, including dangerous goods, to and from Peacekeeping missions. This is to be done within the operating parameters established through coordination with Department of Field Support (DFS) and Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and other involved participants;
- Identify the most cost efficient and operationally effective plan for each transport requirement within geopolitical and operational risk management and mitigation parameters;
- Analyze, plan and present strategic movement options analysis in a clear and comprehensive manner to DFS/DPKO senior management then execute and coordinate movements based on management’s decision
- Analyze, research, and provide technical assessments of claims for reimbursement submitted by Member States for activities undertaken in support of Peacekeeping operations;
- Coordinate transportation of Peacekeeping military and civilian police personnel to and from field missions by the most cost-effective and efficient means in terms of safety and timeliness;
- Monitor and evaluate transportation equipment and terminal facilities used by the United Nations to ensure safe and efficient delivery of equipment and personnel and note deficiencies to be corrected;
- Contribute to the preparation of various written reports, guidelines, policies, procedures, studies, briefings and other communications.
Job Vacancies Competencies
Job Vacancies Professionalism:
Knowledge of steps involved in a large volume transportation program; ability to prepare and negotiate transportation requirements with representatives of air, sea, and surface transportation media; understanding of regulations and requirements designed to ensure the safety of personnel and goods transported by contracted carriers. Ability to perform research and to evaluate and integrate information from a wide variety of sources and to assess impact on transport operations. Ability to meet commitments, observe deadlines and achieve results. Ability to show persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Job Vacancies Communication:
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Job Vacancies Teamwork:
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Job Vacancies Education
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, transportation, management or other related area. A first-level university degree, preferably in any of the above mentioned disciplines, in combination with significant experience in arranging large scale and complex transportation may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job Vacancies Work Experience
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in at least two modes of transport (air, sea, road, rail), including planning and executing international, large scale and complicated personnel and cargo movement operations, required.
Qualifications and experience in the handling of Dangerous Goods is also a requirement. Experience in military transportation and movements is highly desirable. Experience in a UN peacekeeping mission is desirable.
Job Vacancies Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage.
Job Vacancies Assessment Method
Technical test or case study test followed by competency-based interview.
Job Vacancies Special Notice
- Staff Members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by the Secretary-General. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
- This position is funded for a finite period of one year and may be subject to extension. Extension of the appointment is subject to extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
- Appointment to this post is limited to service within the Department of Field Support.
Job Vacancies United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8).
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard mechanical advantage physics problems
- pligg content management system military organization
- pligg content management system recreation centers
- Powered by Article Dashboard civilian personnel management services
- Powered by Article Dashboard field based regional manager reimbursement
- Powered by Article Dashboard armed forces recreation center
- pligg content management system discipline
- pligg content management system us armed forces
- pligg content management system form of government
- pligg content management system gardening design