Job Vacancies Department of Field Support (DFS)
Position Geographic Information Systems Officer, P4
Department/ Office CARTOGRAPHIC SECTION
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Monday, 07 November 2011
Job Opening number 11-IMA-DFS LSD SSS CS-20854-R-NEW YORK (O)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Job Vacancies Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Geographic Policy & Production Unit within the Logistics Support Division (LSD) of the Department of Field Support (DFS). The Geographic Information Systems Officer reports to the Chief of the Cartographic Section of the Specialist Support Service (SSS).
Job Vacancies Responsibilities
The Geographic Information Systems Officer performs as Chief, Geographic Policy & Production Unit responsible for the following duties:
(1) Planning, managing and providing geographic information services in support of the decision-making and operational needs to the Secretariat as well as the Security Council dealing dynamically with the life cycle of geographic information development – from the initial information request to collection, analysis, compilation, production, presentation and dissemination of the geographic information to the substantive offices of the Secretariat and the Security Council;
(2) Managing the provision of geographic information services to the Security Council;
(3) Producing country profile maps, peacekeeping force deployment maps, situation briefing maps, maps for UN publication;
(4) Providing clearance of all maps published under UN Secretariat;
(5) Providing and maintaining global geographic information databases (geo-database) including satellite imagery and gazetteers;
(6) Conducting international boundary related studies and maintaining international boundary geo-database;
(7) providing technical advice and assistance on international boundary issues such as border demarcation;
(8) Coordinating the access and sharing of geographic information with other departments and offices in the Secretariat and UN agencies that play an active role in various United Nations operations;
(9) Developing geographic information policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOPs) as well as lessons learned and best practices;
(10) Managing staff and work of the unit;
(11) Performing other functions as assigned by the Chief of the Cartographic Section.
Job Vacancies Competencies
- Advanced technical qualifications and broad knowledge of all aspects of cartography, geography, geographic information systems (GIS) and its related matters; Ability to integrate such knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives; Conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand cartographic/GIS production and mapping; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter: Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work
Planning and Organizing
– Develop clear goals and plans for geographic information programmes that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
– Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Job Vacancies Education
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in cartography, geography, geographic information science or other disciplines that involves cartographic production and geographic information services . A first level university degree with relevant experience in cartography, geography, geographic information science or other related area may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job Vacancies Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in managing geographic information related work is required, particularly in the areas of: (a) cartographic production, (b) geographic information analysis, (c) planning and management of projects in dealing with cartography and geographic information services , (d) map publication and clearance, and (e) international boundary issues. Direct working experience in UN field operations specifically in cartographic production and geographic information system is desirable.
Job Vacancies Languages
French and English are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required and knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Job Vacancies Assessment Method
A technical test will be administered. Successful candidates will be invited to a competency-based interview.
Job Vacancies United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- gis news & jobs in ethiopia/2012
- gis jobs in ethiopia
- information science jobs in ethiopia
- www dailymonitors com vacancy in Ethiopia
- latest gis jobs in pakistan in october2011
- jops in GIS field in ethiopia 2012
- Job pathfinder Ethiopia
- GIS work in Department of field support UN
- gis vacancy in ethiopia university
- gis vacancy in ethiopia 2012