Job Vacancies Department of Economic and Social Affairs
Position Meetings Services Assistant
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL AFFAIRS
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Saturday, 12 November 2011
Job Opening number 11-CON-DEPT OF ECON & SOCIAL AFFAIRS-20760-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Job Vacancies Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the ECOSOC and Interorganizational Cooperation Branch (EICB), Office for ECOSOC Support and Coordination (OESC), Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), and the incumbent reports to the Chief of EICB.
Job Vacancies Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Branch, EICB/OESC, the Meeting Services Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
· Organize and coordinate preparations and support of relevant meetings of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the Second and Third Committees of the General Assembly (GA), liaise with relevant offices and delegations in Headquarters or away from New York regarding procedural and organizational arrangements; ensure that all required services, including the availability and distribution of documents and personnel are in place;
· Research documents and information relevant to the substantive and organizational preparation of the meetings and other events organized by the Office; organize and maintain reference materials and background documents;
· Prepare and update lists of participants, provide administrative support for travel arrangements, liaise with the Department of General Assembly and Conference Management, UN Security, Protocol and other entities as necessary;
· Determine the material and human resources requirements for meetings and events and prepare cost estimates;
· Organize and coordinate preparatory meetings with relevant offices and delegations regarding procedural and organizational arrangements for the sessions of committees and meetings/conferences;
· Ensure that reports prepared by the Branch meet the UN document standards; coordinate with the documents control office and other offices as required for timely submission and issuance of reports;
· Process, finalize and ensure proper transmission of reports, briefs, documentation and correspondence coming from the Executive Office of the Secretary-General (EOSG) and Office of the Under-Secretary-General (DESA-OUSG) to relevant departments, organizations, Missions and other partners;
· Perform other duties as required.
Job Vacancies Competencies
Knowledge of the Economic and Social Council’s conference policies, procedures and practices, particularly the Annual Ministerial Review, Development Cooperation Forum and their preparatory meetings. Knowledge of the UN Common system, administrative policies and procedures. Ability to research, select and organize and summarize information required for the preparation of meetings. Show pride in work and in achieving results; remain professional in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Knowledge of IMIS supplies requisition and travel modules.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Planning & Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Job Vacancies Education
High school diploma or equivalent.
Job Vacancies Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of experience in meeting servicing and general administrative functions required. Experience in applying the Economic and Social Council’s conference policies, procedures and practices desirable. Experience in servicing UN intergovernmental bodies is desirable.
Job Vacancies Languages
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Job Vacancies Assessment Method
The evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
Job Vacancies Special Notice
This position is for local recruitment.
Passing the Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations.
To make arrangements to take this test in New York, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the Headquarters Staffing Section(HQSS), Unit C, United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. HQSS-Unit C receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon. Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
Job Vacancies United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.