Job Vacancies Department of Economic and Social Affairs
Position Social Affairs Officer
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL AFFAIRS
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Monday, 12 December 2011
Job Opening number 11-SOC-DEPT OF ECON & SOCIAL AFFAIRS-21241-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Job Vacancies Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Social Integration Branch of the Division for Social Policy and Development within the Department of Economic and Social Affairs. The incumbent will be under the delegated authority of the Chief of the Social Integration Branch and under the direct supervision of the Senior Social Affairs Officer/ Focal Point on Ageing.
Job Vacancies Responsibilities
The incumbent is responsible for:
- Monitoring the implementation of the outcome of the Second World Assembly on Ageing and assist with the implementation of the Madrid Plan of Action on Ageing;
- Conducting substantive research and preparing analytical reports, parliamentary documentation, and statements for senior officials on social development issues, with the main focus on Ageing.
- Providing substantive servicing of intergovernmental meetings which fall in the area of competence of the Branch, including the organization of panels, round table discussion, on social development , with a special focus on ageing related issues.
- Maintaining dialogue with social partners, such as Governments, academia and civil society at the national, regional and international level and gather information on initiatives taken by them on the follow-up to the Second World Assembly on Ageing.
- Providing support to the coordination of activities on ageing within the United Nations system.
- Planning, organizing and providing substantial servicing of ad hoc expert group meetings, seminars, workshops, etc., including the identification and selection of participants, drafting background documentation, reports, policy recommendations and analytical briefs based on the outcome of such meetings.
- Perform other administrative and ad hoc duties as required.
Job Vacancies Competencies
Knowledge of theories and concepts related to social development and social policy; strong analytical capacity and ability to identify, analyze and articulate multi-dimensional social development issues, with a particular focus on ageing; sound judgment; strong research and strong drafting skills, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources using standard methodologies and analytical techniques. Ability to draw conclusions and to assess impact on social development and policy issues. Knowledge of relevant institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to social development as well as knowledge of the institutions of the UN system. Ability to take responsibility for incorporating a gender perspective and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Job Vacancies Education
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sociology, economics, other social science or related field. A first-level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and extensive analytical and/or implementation experience in socio-economic development may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
Job Vacancies Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in socio economic development , policy analysis, sociological research or related area. Experience in intergovernmental work, particularly providing substantive support to the intergovernmental process, is required.
Job Vacancies Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other official languages of the United Nations would be an asset.
Job Vacancies Assessment Method
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise which may
be followed by a competency-based interview.
Job Vacancies United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS
Incoming search terms for the article:
- 2nd level eligibilty job vacancies for december 2011
- P3 21241 - Social Affairs Officer
- social affairs officer vacancies
- social integration vacancies