Job Vacancies Department for General Assembly Affairs and Conference Management
Job Title MEETINGS SERVICING ASSISTANT, G6
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT FOR GENERAL ASSEMBLY AND CONFERENCE MANAGEMENT
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Friday, 19 November 2010
Job Opening number 10-ADM-DEPT FOR GA & CONFERENCE MGMT-16564-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Meetings Servicing Unit of the Meetings Management Section in the Central Planning and Coordination Service of the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management. The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Unit.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of the Meetings Servicing Unit of the Central Planning and Coordination Service, the main responsibility of the Meetings Servicing Assistant is to ensure smooth functioning of a meeting so that it accomplishes its work and purpose, by coordinating the services and facilities required for each meeting, and by acting as a liaison between delegations and Secretariat. This would entail the following duties:
- Ensure that all required services, including the availability and distribution of documents, and personnel are available in order for committees and meetings and conferences to convene according to the schedule
- Take initiative in anticipating and solving problems pertaining to the preparation of meeting rooms, distribution of documents or other relevant logistical arrangements
- Utilize eDoc and ODS to track the status of and download documents
- Organize and maintain reference material and background documents, including resolutions and decisions of main organs
- Report on the proceedings of committees and meetings and/or conferences and submit reports, if required, to the supervisor
- Supervise the voting and election process and the preparation of tabulation of voting patterns
- Maintain an accurate record of speakers and/or an attendance record and coordinate with delegations on their position on the list of speakers
- Prepare floor plans of seating arrangements in accordance with meeting requirements and UN protocol
- Attend coordinating and planning meetings, representing the Unit and/or Section regarding procedural and organizational arrangements for sessions of committees and ad hoc meetings and update files accordingly
- Prepare for committees and meetings and/or conferences to be held away from Headquarters, other UN Offices or Regional Commissions, coordinate with substantive offices
- Respond to queries from delegations and Secretariat
- Temporarily replace senior staff in related functions when needed
- Provide guidance and training to less experienced staff
- Perform other duties as required
Must be available for overtime and on-call assignments, depending on the needs of the service.
- Knowledge of the United Nations conference policies, procedures and practices
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Planning & Organizing:
-Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
-Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
-Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
-Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
-Uses time efficiently
-Proven ability to work under minimum supervision
High school diploma or equivalent.
Seven years of responsible experience within the UN system, including experience in the area of meetings and conference servicing. Experience in dealing with policies, procedures and practices for UN conferences is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations is committed to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. The Untied Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
This position is for local recruitment. External applicants will be considered only if no suitable internal candidates are found.
Passing the New York Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Headquarters at New York. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon. Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- add about jobs in general services and coordination department
- how do i get a job in un conference
- International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) elections november 2010