Job Vacancies Asian Development Bank (ADB)
North American Representative Office , Strategy and Policy Department
Position: Principal Partnership and Coordination Specialist
Location: United States of America (The)
Closing Date: Tuesday, 07 June 2011
Under the direction of the Resident Director General (RDG), North American Representative Office (NARO), advance the implementation of Strategy 2020 by building shareholder support for ADB’s work in Asia-Pacific, supporting resource mobilization for ADB developing member countries (DMCs), and ensuring a central ADB role in North American policy dialogue on developing Asia and the Pacific. Oversee the development of effective and continuous working relationships with key stakeholders by undertaking information sharing initiatives and organizing and participating in meetings, outreach activities, and opportunities for interaction to raise ADB’s profile in Canada and the United States (US). Oversee the gathering and evaluation of information on key stakeholders, target audiences, and convey it to relevant ADB Headquarters. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
a. External relations — Building Stakeholders’ Support
- Advise the Resident Director General, NARO in identifying priority target audiences, prioritizing external relations activities, and building and maintaining relationships with target audiences, including key decision makers, opinion leaders, academia, business communities, civil society, and media which may be associated with or have an impact on ADB activities.
- Provide local policy makers with comprehensive information on ADB strategies and activities, recent developments in Asia-Pacific countries, and underscore the continuing need to support development in the region.
- Further develop ADB’s network with government agencies, multilateral financial institutions, business associations, and non-government organizations relevant to the work of ADB.
- Organize and oversee meetings with local partners in coordination with concerned Headquarters staff.
- Oversee and coordinate opportunities for the interaction of ADB key communicators with target audiences and top-tier media in Canada and the United States, in coordination with the Managing Director General’s office and Department of External Relations (DER).
- Represent ADB at various external fora (e.g., United Nations, World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank) on a variety of subjects that are of interest to ADB.
- Oversee NARO’s outreach effort on business opportunities for Canada and the United States audiences.
- Oversee preparation of reports and evaluations on external relations activities in Canada and the United States
- Maintain and share with the Managing Director General’s office, Strategy and Policy Department (SPD), DER and other relevant ADB departments and offices information on target audience contacts and their areas of interest and concern.
b. Resource Mobilization and Partnership Building
- Coordinate closely with US and Canadian government counterpart agencies on major resource-related exercises, including capital increase and Asian Development Fund replenishment as well as country-specific trust funds.
- Inform ADB Headquarters of ADB’s stakeholders local development assistance policies in North America, and contribute to the enhancement of relationships with the Canadian and US government.
- Monitor and facilitate local legislative and administrative processes and outcomes related to ADB’s resource mobilization, by providing regular briefings on ADB operations and reforms for key counterparts and responding to queries as needed.
- Support efforts to build institutional-level coordination arrangements and country and regional-level partnerships with Canadian and US development agencies, and ensure a constant operational dialogue with key counterpart agencies on selected DMCs, sectors, and themes.
- Facilitate effective ADB engagement in North American-based global funds (e.g. Climate Investment Funds, Global Agriculture and Food Security Program, Green Climate Fund) by representing ADB on the supervising committees for these funds, and by participating in keynote events.
c. HQ Support
- Oversee the advice and support that is given to ADB’s key spokespersons and departments/offices in planning and conducting external relations and outreach activities in Canada and the Unites States, in coordination with the Managing Director General’s Office, SPD, and DER.
- Provide operational support to ADB senior staff and Management in coordination with the Resident Director General, NARO to promote effective high-level engagement with key Canadian and US stakeholders from government, media, leading policy institutions, non-government organizations, academia and the private sector.
- Monitor developments at other international financial institutions (IFI) (World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, etc.) relevant for ADB and report these to ADB headquarters, facilitating interaction between ADB and IFIs as needed.
- Support Management participation in meetings of international organizations (including the UN General Assembly), multilateral funds (e.g. Climate Investment funds, Global Agriculture and Food Security Program) and major for a (e.g. International Economic Forum of the Americas)..
d. Positioning ADB in Policy Dialogue on Asia-Pacific and International Financial Institutions
- Build an effective network among governmental policy makers, and participate in discussions relating to ADB’s work in Asia-Pacific; monitor and report on key policy discussions and their implication for ADB.
- Build an effective network among leading policy think-tanks and NGOs; initiate and participate in keynote policy-oriented events and contribute to/review publications to ensure that ADB’s views are reflected.- Coordinate with DER and ADB’s knowledge departments and offices (ADBI, ERD, OREI, RSDD) to ensure that ADB’s research and knowledge work effectively reaches key stakeholders from government, private sector associations (e.g. Chambers of Commerce), policy think-tanks, academia and the media.
- Support the launch of flagship ADB publications, including the Asian Development Outlook, and advise ADB departments and offices on effective outreach strategies, in close consultation with DER.
Participate in and contribute to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, knowledge dissemination and knowledge building.
e. Work Programming, Office Administration, and Staff Supervision
- Support preparation and supervise implementation of NARO’s work program, administrative work, and budget under the overall guidance of the Resident Director General, NARO.
- Participate in staff recruitment and other HR matters.
- Create and lead teams and ensure the overall quality of their work.
- Supervise the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their ongoing learning and development.
A university degree in Public or Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Journalism, Political Science, International Affairs, or related fields, preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience and familiarity with operations, policies, and procedures of bilateral and multilateral development financing institutions
- Familiarity with North American institution and the socio-economic environment of Canada and the Unites States
- Proven analytical competence and judgment
- Strong interpersonal, diplomatic, and facilitation skills
- Ability to interact effectively with staff, Management, government officials, and external counterparts
- Institutional knowledge of Official Development Assistance (ODA) ministries and agencies is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in several countries
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
Trouble shoots and addresses situations that require prompt remedy to ensure smooth work flow and relationshipswith internal and external stakeholders
Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Is prepared to step in and take action complementing and supplementing other NARO and Headquarters staff
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Can represent ADB with external audiences and at external events in general and especially in her/his areas of expertise
Innovation and Change
Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information:
The position reports to: Resident Director General, North American Representative Office (NARO)
The following staff positions report to the Principal Partnership and Coordination Specialist: National Staff and Administrative Staff.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- adb job vacancies
- pligg content management system canadian government
- pligg content management system business development jobs
- pligg content management system conducting a science experiment
- pligg content management system contexts of science and technology
- pligg content management system regional bank
- Powered by Article Dashboard role of ngo\s in the promotion of science & technology
- pligg content management system science degree
- pligg content management system state government
- staff tiers adb