Job Vacancies American Refugee Committee International (ARC)
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) works for the survival, health, and well-being of refugees, displaced persons, and those at risk, and seeks to enable them to rebuild productive lives of dignity and purpose, striving always to respect the values of those served. ARC is an international nonprofit, nonsectarian organization that has provided multisectoral humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries for more than 28 years.
Position: Director of International Programs
Closing Date: Tuesday, 30 November 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – Minneapolis, MN
VISION AND DESCRIPTION OF INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
The International Programs team focuses on meeting and exceeding ARC’s vision and mission through innovation, collaboration and disciplined attention to program outcomes. This means we rigorously pursue and implement ARC’s shared vision of ensuring that every person who participates in an ARC-supported program has a better chance of taking control of their life and achieving self-sufficiency. We accomplish this by working in partnership with refugees and internally displaced people to design and deliver high quality, long lasting programs.
The International Programs team currently includes over 1,500 individuals in eight countries, Washington D.C. and Minneapolis. Working together and respecting our diverse cultures and experiences, we strive to maintain the highest standards of teamwork and collaboration.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Director of International Programs provides strategic leadership and operational management of ARC’s programs and operations in Haiti, Northern Sudan, Southern Sudan, Uganda, Pakistan, Thailand, Rwanda, and Liberia as well as new country programs. ARC is planning to begin operations in Somalia in the coming year, and conducting assessments in other countries. This requires close collaboration with and capacity building of country management teams as well as regular travel to field sites.
The Director also supervises the Program Management Team, which supports the development of country strategies, tracks project delivery and budgets, reviews proposal budgets, develops management reports and a dashboard of key indicators, facilitates organizational learning and capacity building, provides operations support to country teams, and maintains good communication between staff at headquarters and in country offices.
The Director serves as a member of ARC’s Senior Management Team and collaborates with colleagues at the headquarters to ensure strategic focus, operational effectiveness and timely support of country programs. This position will be based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
* Lead the development and execution of ARC’s international program plan, ensuring close collaboration with other International Programs departments, including Program Development and the Technical Team, to ensure agreed program outcomes are achieved.
* Develop and maintain high level of rapport, mutual confidence and open cooperation with field teams in order to sustain a culture of accountability to refugees and donors, innovation and collaboration.
* Proactively drive and support the development and effectiveness of Senior Management Teams in Country Offices.
* Advise the Senior Vice President on strategic regional and global humanitarian trends, needs and opportunities.
Strategy Formation and Execution
* Lead the strategy development process to ensure collaborative development of multi-year country and regional program strategies that are aligned with ARC’s program framework.
* Manage the development and execution of operational plans consistent with global strategy, goals and program quality standards.
* Provide direction and support to Country Offices in proactively acquiring resources from public and private donors, in close collaboration with the Program Development team.
* Manage the proposal development process of Country Offices, with the support of Program Development and Technical Teams, to ensure that proposals are strategically aligned, technically strong, achievable and realistically budgeted.
* Pursue new technical and institutional partnerships and strategic alliances to build ARC’s programming capacity.
* Lead the development of program standards and tools, based on best practices, to ensure program effectiveness, quality and innovation.
* Maintain on-going communication with each Country Director to ensure program targets and quality standards are achieved.
* Develop and implement effective monitoring and evaluation processes, capabilities and culture in collaboration with the Technical Team.
* Conduct site visits to country programs to ensure program delivery and team effectiveness.
* Provide oversight of country program budgets and management of grants. Anticipate potential funding gaps, develop contingency plans, and closely monitor uncovered program costs.
* Manage development and monitoring of program revenue projections in Country Offices.
* Develop and monitor the International Program team’s operational budget. Make recommendations for investments in organization and country program capacity building.
Capacity Building and Performance
* Develop and implement organizational learning and capacity building processes to ensure effective functioning of country management teams.
* Select, hire, orient and mentor professional staff and develop capacity building plans to support their ongoing professional development.
* Conduct annual performance reviews and make recommendations for salary increases and promotions for direct reports.
* Provide counsel, support and corrective action plans for employee work environment issues. Appropriately manage grievance processes and staff terminations.
* Review and adjust department structure and job descriptions as needed to provide clear work expectations and adequate resources for achieving program goals.
* Manage team to ensure operating policies, procedures, and communication protocols are clear and consistent.
* Manage reporting systems to ensure transparency of program outcomes as well as strategic and timely response to opportunities and gaps.
* Represent ARC to domestic and international communities relevant to refugee, IDP and vulnerable populations. Speak to the general public, as required.
* Initiate, develop, and maintain contacts with key donors, US government, and UN agency officials.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
* Minimum 10 years work experience in the humanitarian and international development field.
* 5-10 years of senior program management experience with an international NGO, demonstrating a collaborative and empowering management style.
* Extensive experience working with major donors such as USAID, DFID and UNHCR. Experience with the Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance and the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration highly desired.
* Demonstrated capacity to secure program funding from private and public sources.
* Expert knowledge of the principal players, issues, policies and trends in the international humanitarian arena.
* Broad working understanding of global relief, transitional, and development programming, participatory methods, strategic and operational planning, monitoring and evaluation, proposal writing, budgeting, and fundraising.
* Experience managing and working in emergency humanitarian operations. Proven experience managing a large staff and providing leadership and guidance to team members.
* Possess skills in capacity building and partnership development.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
* Commitment to personally champion ARC’s program vision and mission.
* Exceptional leadership skills and ability to coach and mentor others. Proven track record in creating and managing diverse collaborative teams, which work together to reach shared goals.
* Proven strategic thinking, problem solving and conflict management skills.
* Strong organizational and communication skills.
* Demonstrated aptitude for initiative, resourcefulness and innovation.
* Availability for frequent international and domestic travel, sometimes at short notice.
How to apply
*APPLICANTS MUST ALREADY BE ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES.
For full job description and the online application form, please visit our website at http://www.arcrelief.org and click on Careers.
American Refugee Committee
430 Oak Grove Street
Minneapolis, MN 55403-3234
Reference Code: RW_8A6QC7-72
Incoming search terms for the article:
- American refugee Committee Somalia
- arc vacancies
- american refugee committee thailand
- american refugee committee
- american refugee committee international
- arc international jobs
- arc international vacancies
- American Refugee Committee Career Vacancies
- ARC INTERNATIONAL RWANDA PROGRAM
- arc international thailand job