Job Vacancies American Red Cross
Position: Program Officer–Haiti Assistance Program
Closing Date: Thursday, 02 December 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – Washington
Job Description/Qualifications Summary:
The Program Officer is based in Washington, DC and is responsible for providing support to Haiti recovery including Health, Water & Sanitation, Shelter & Livelihoods programs in the wake of the January 12 earthquake. The American Red Cross, with its partners in the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, works to provide urgent humanitarian assistance to the world’s most vulnerable communities. Program Officers are expected to have a wide range of skills, experience and knowledge relevant to the American Red Cross programs in Haiti. Position reports to the Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Manage and/or support regional programs:
* Lead NHQ point of contact for all projects in countries of responsibility (for local National Red Cross/Crescent Society counterparts as well as ARC staff).
* Ensure programmatic and financial compliance of field projects; including project start-up, agreements, budget oversight, compliance with monitoring and evaluation and reporting standards. Undertake periodic site visits, oversee project close-out.
* Maintain strong communications with and provide programmatic support to ARC field staff.
* Provide coverage to other regions or units as deemed appropriate (surge capacity related)
Planning and program development:
* Participate in the development of regional and country-specific plans aligned with wider International Services and ARC strategies and operational plans.
* Assist in identifying new program opportunities through monitoring of sources and liaising with external donors and other humanitarian agencies.
* Participate in the development (design) of new programs. Role will vary by type of proposal and available skill sets, always coordinating the region’s participation and sometimes acting as lead writer.
* Support the Haiti Disaster Response lead in managing all aspects of disaster response, including planning for early recovery. .
* Ensure timely response to disasters within Haiti by prioritizing and facilitating rapid assistance in support of relief operations; allocation of financial and in-kind resources; management and tracking of internal processes; facilitation of coordination of key internal and external stakeholders.
* Help to oversee Haiti field operations, including potential deployment as part of a response team. Oversight includes ensuring appropriate and adequate distribution of relief supplies, cash, and other interventions; and supporting and ensuring a high level of performance by deployed field personnel.
* Monitor new, ongoing, and potential disasters in region; work with International Disaster Response Unit’s reporting function and Development, Communications and Marketing Departments to ensure up-to-date information.
* Serve as Duty Officer on a rotational basis and be willing to work after hours during an emergency. Backstop staff as necessary.
Bachelors degree, or relevant equivalent experience, plus a minimum of three years related experience is required, masters preferred. Field experience working in developing countries managing disaster response and recovery programs strongly preferred. Experience working with local partner organizations and program and proposal development experience is strongly preferred. Working experience in Latin America a plus. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and in a collegial fashion with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures. Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are essential. Fluency in French or Creole is highly desirable.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
How to apply
Please visit our website at www.americanredcross.apply2jobs.com and reference position NHQ7330
Reference Code: RW_8ATJRR-3
Incoming search terms for the article:
- www americanredcross apply2jobs com
- americanredcross apply2jobs
- americanredcross apply2jobs com
- americanredcross apply2jobs com/
- american red cross apply2jobs
- www americanredcross apply2jobs com/
- www americanredcross apply2jobs com and reference position NHQ7330
- www american red cross com
- americanredcross com